National wallpaper manufacturer based in Lancashire
ProjectClient coming to the end of a lease with obligations to repair and maintain property, although property had been re-let to a sub tenant.
BriefTo survey the premises with reference to the repairing obligations within the lease agreement and to prepare a schedule of work for approval by the parties to the lease. On agreement, to prepare a project specification and drawings, obtain statutory consents, tender the work, and carry out contact administration duties to completion.
Property is a grade 2 listed building approximately 300 years old. It is situated in the middle of a Cumbrian market town and currently used for retail purposes. It was suffering from a lack of maintenance and some quite serious defects, particularly:
- Roof timber decay
- Damaged roof tiles
- Badly repaired flashings
- Weak and decayed flooring
- Cantilever oak beam support to oriel window failing
- Internal plasterwork damaged and loose generally
- Windows decayed and part inoperative
- Rainwater goods corroded and blocked
- Saturation of front elevation wall fabric
- Rodent entry in roof space
- Retail business to continue operations throughout contract period as far as possible
- Site barriers and safe working areas sensitive to security and position given the prominent location within the town centre
- Structural repairs designed to minimise disturbance of original building fabric consistent with providing an effective, durable repair
- Materials used for repair to be as original where possible, specifying modern repair materials where possible by agreement with the planning authorities
OutcomeProperty was successfully repaired with business downtime of only 3 weeks out of a contract period of 8 weeks. Clients repairing obligations fulfilled to the Landlords satisfaction. An important historic building in the centre of a historic market town is now in a fully repaired condition and with timely and appropriate future maintenance should hopefully last for another 300 years!
We have wide experience in dealing with both commercial and industrial properties from steel framed industrial units clad asbestos cement to modern office accommodation.
We also provide repair and maintenance advice for property and project management for commercial building work.
We can assist home buyers and Landlords by offering a range of pre-purchase services including building surveys, defect investigation of individual elements and non-invasive testing that seek to place the purchaser in the position of being an ‘informed buyer’; we are fully independent and you can be sure that we will represent your interests 100%.
In addition we offer existing home owners contemplating development Party Wall advice and act as Party Wall Surveyors in accordance with the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.